Since re-reading the notes, I've realized that perhaps Singaporean phone closings are that different from closing face-to-face conversations. Well, at least the pre-closing devices appear to be very similar.
A: "So are you going back to your lab now?"
B: "Nah, I'm gonna get some juice."
*Silence*
A: "Erm, ok.." (Warrant)
A: "I guess I'll go get my lunch now." (Overt)
B: "Yeah, take care bro, lest your work swallows you whole." ((random) Reinvocation)
The comparison between the frequency of listener responses, especially backchannels (BC) was also rather interesting. I wonder whether the Chinese tend to use more listener responses to assure the other party of their attention, continuously sending feedback to the other party to signal interest in what they are saying. This seems to be an important factor in active listening. In fact, I find myself deliberately using more listener responses (both verbal and non-verbal) in conversations that I need to be taken more seriously. However, as has been illustrated through research, across cultures, this might turn out to be more of an annoyance than anything.
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment